Working within the GSMA's Internet of Things programme which targets the creation of 700 million new "Internet of Things (IoT) / Machine to Machine (M2M)" connections in the Automotive, Education, Utilities, Smart Cities and Healthcare sectors.
During my time at the GSMA I have initiated and led the following projects:
• IoT Security – I have just delivered this major new project within the GSMA, which addresses the end-to-end security challenges associated with IoT services and applications.
• IoT Connection Efficiency – This project delivered a set of network and device features, which protect mobile networks from Denial of Service attacks and will allow the Internet of Things to grow from millions of devices today, into the billions of devices tomorrow.
• IoT Embedded SIM – I led the creation of a major industry standard for remote ‘over the air’ personalisation and management of Embedded SIM cards. This is a major technology enabler for millions of new machine-to-machine applications.
Throughout my time at GSMA I have presented the position of the GSMA membership at standards bodies such as ETSI, regulatory bodies such as ECTA and governmental institutions such as the European Commission.
More Work Experience
Less Work Experience
• Led the deployment of Apple, Android and Windows Mobile applications, products and services.
• Created and maintained Three’s device technology roadmap for 3G and 4G services.
• Developed a framework, toolset and process to continuously monitor the performance of key mobile internet services to ensure the best user experience for Three’s customers.
• Initiated and led the creation of new processes within Three to monitor the ‘in-life’ performance of devices and applications. Took personal ownership for investigating and resolving device issues, including proactively addressing internal process or network issues that may contribute towards customer dissatisfaction.
• Responsible for defining and driving the technology strategy for Hutchison’s global 3G businesses and ensuring buy in at board level within each operating company.
• Scouting and evaluation of new technologies and services (NFC, RFID, Mobile Payments etc) making investment recommendations to Hutchison’s senior management team.
• Representing Hutchison within key industry bodies and associations such as the GSMA, ETSI and 3GPP.
• Managed the design and delivery of the first commercial 3G handsets and SIM cards for Hutchison from initial design in early 2000 to delivery to customers in March 2003.
• Designed and delivered many new innovative mobile services, such as the first ‘mobile’ optimised versions of Skype, Windows Live Messenger, mobile navigation etc.
• Developed in conjunction with all stakeholders within the company the core Hutchison handsets requirements specifications.
• Built up and managed a core team of over 50 specialist engineers from scratch, interviewing and selecting the candidates myself.
Education and Training
More Education and Training
Less Education and Training
Electronic Engineering and Computer Science